It is very important for every website administrator to know the benefits of Joomla Security Audit before the security is added to the website. As we all know, adding more layers of security is the most difficult task in the development process.
While it can be implemented easily without making any sort of holes or weaknesses in the security, there are many who may end up in disaster if they try to implement more than the basic security on their websites. The same applies to Joomla security audits.
Basic security can already be performed without the help of a security consultant. These experts can do all the digging out of these holes and fix them. The professionals would guide you on how to implement security in such a way that you do not need to perform this security maintenance manually.
Most of the security auditors who have a professional background in web security also have experience of performing other security related tasks as well. This would mean that they can also provide their services to perform updates on your site or helping you find the vulnerabilities that might result in hacking of your website.
A Joomla Security Audit should include the following:
– Open URL – This URL must be accessible by anyone, even the servers of your website should be controlled by any user of the website. This is another option which is not only one way, but this method can also be used to access the databases. It is crucial to note that any data uploaded to the database must be accessible to any user.
– Only passwords should be used – There should not be any encryption of passwords, instead, a password should be used on any of the websites which will access the database. If your database is publicly available then it is good to change the password regularly. Any website administrator should be able to do this automatically as the date change.
– Change the username and password frequently – Every time a user logs in to the website, they should be able to use the username and password to access the database. A new username and password must be used on each website access.
– Use of HTTPS – This is another option which is necessary to perform a Joomla Security Audit. Every connection between the server and the browser must be done over secure connections.
– Risk management – To prevent any security issues, risks should be identified and managed early. It is advisable to perform a checklist on a regular basis so that the risk is kept at bay.
– Encryption of server side applications – Encryption is an essential factor in all the online transactions. A site can only communicate with the database using encrypted form.
There are more details that can be mentioned about security audits in order to add to the points which have been discussed above. These are simple but effective tips to follow for your websites.